Cooking with Jason

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Ice Cream, Take Three

Last time out I used the following:
8 oz mascarpone
2 C whole milk
1 C sugar
1 ea vanilla bean

I personally don't like it as much as the initial batch of mascarpone ice cream, but it's still pretty good. Texture is just a slight step down (it's still creamy and spoonable, but with a few small ice crystals here and there) from the original, and light years ahead of the first (non-mascarpone) stuff I made. Flavor is good, slightly less mascarpone-y as you might imagine. It also wasn't as rich, an added bonus as the first batch was doing a number on Luke's diapers, if you catch my drift. Moving on.

If I were making mascarpone ice cream for a restaurant, a dinner party, or just for myself, I'd definitely go with the 8 oz mascarpone, 1 C whole milk version. Given that my goal in this was to create a product for Luke, however, I think the version with two cups of milk is a better choice, and it's also more cost-effective.

Next up -- flavors! Woo! I'll probably start with some sort of berry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home