Cooking with Jason

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Still got it

As expected, L-block classes haven't proved much of a challenge through the first three weeks. I just got home from taking my Restaurant Law final (it only meets for seven days), on which I got a perfect score. Professor Gold said I was only the fifth person to do so in the history of the class -- he's been teaching this course for at least 20 years -- and that one of the other five is current CIA president Tim Ryan.

I did turn in a substantial amount of work today in Menu Development, namely the menu for my fictional restaurant. It's a "small plates" concept, sort of like tapas but not Spanish in nature. Jonathan Sundstrom's Lark would be a good comparison. My menu is divided into five categories: garden, grain, sea, land, and sweets. With no plate more than $20, the idea is that you'd order a variety of dishes and share at the table. Owning my own restaurant isn't really what I want to do, but if I had my own place, it would be this style. Eventually for this project I'll cost out recipes, predict sales, schedule labor, and come up with a one-month budget.

There's not much else to report... Intro to Management, Nutrition, and Cost Controlling just aren't all that exciting. I did find out today that we're going to get a four-day weekend over the 4th of July, so that's cool. There's also a rumor that we can pick up our Externship manuals tomorrow, though I haven't been able to confirm that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home