Cooking with Jason

Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Great Ice Cream Experiment

As I'm not starting school for quite awhile now, we're going to head off in a completely different direction.

My son Luke is allergic to eggs. We unfortunately discovered this the hard way, when I baked him a cake (from scratch, of course, including buttercream frosting) for his first birthday last year. It had been my idea to bake him a different kind of cake every year, getting fancier and fancier each time, in order to keep up on my dessert skills. No matter -- instead of cakes, I'll make him pies, tarts, and so on.

But what to do about ice cream? I love making my own at home, but all those egg yolks won't work for Luke. So no homemade ice cream. Or so I thought... turns out there's "Philadelphia-style" ice cream, made without eggs (or cooking, for that matter).

All that in mind, I began my quest today to create the best eggless ice cream I possibly can. I'm starting with a recipe I found online but will adjust from there until I develop the perfect base (that means nothing but vanilla for now -- without a good base, you can forget about making good ice cream).

The "control" recipe can be found here. I scaled it back a bit both due to the contraits of my ice cream maker and because I don't want a gallon in case it's no good. The only other change I made was heating the dairy on the stove slightly to help the sugar dissolve. The mix is cooling, and once it's chilled, it'll go into the machine.

This recipe is pretty simple: heavy cream, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla extract, a pinch of salt. Moving forward, I'd like to experiment with things like sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, and instant vanilla pudding. I'm also not happy about using vanilla extract, but I didn't have a vanilla bean handy.

Anyway, check back in for report on the final product.

2 Comments:

  • hey Jason; FWIW, a friend who makes eggless icecream votes for whole milk instead of cream, feeling she gets a less 'greasy' final product...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 AM  

  • Thanks msb. After reading various comments, I did expect the final product to have a greasy mouthfeel, but to my pleasant surprise it did not. I did come up with another possible ingredient today that might help with texture -- mascarpone.

    By Blogger JMB, at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home