Cooking with Jason

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Ice Cream, Take Two

Onward.

I thought I was soooo smart, coming up with the idea of using mascarpone in my eggless ice cream. But a quick Google search revealed all sorts of recipes for mascarpone ice cream, some with eggs and some without. In any event, I guess I'm not all that smart... but I stand by the fact that I did come up with the idea on my own, even if it's not some wonderful innovation.

The first hit that got my attention was here, at a site called The Cheese Diaries. This mix of mascarpone, simple syrup, and lemon juice comes to us from Alain Ducasse, via the great Thomas Keller. I decided not to go with this recipe (seems weird to reject a Keller recipe, I know) for a few reasons. First, 2.5 cups of simple syrup seems like an awful lot for one pound of mascarpone. Second, I don't like the idea of using water instead of milk, because it seems like the rock-hard texture would be an even bigger issue than with cream (or even milk). Finally, I had already decided that mascarpone, whole milk, sugar, and a vanilla bean were the way to go. But how much of each?

Fortunately, I came across this recipe, complete with picture. Eight ounces mascarpone, one cup milk, three-quarters cup sugar. And of course my prized vanilla bean. (Yes, if this one bombs I'll happily defer to Keller.)

Into a small saucepot went the milk, sugar (I'm using plain old granulated, not superfine, but the heat should eliminate any graininess), and scraped vanilla bean (pod too). That steeped over very low heat for about half an hour, then went into the fridge to cool. Tomorrow, that'll be blended with the mascarpone (minus the pod, of course) and then transferred to the ice cream maker. Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home