Cooking with Jason

Sunday, August 13, 2006

This stuff rocks!

The mascarpone ice cream is incredible (well, it *was* incredible -- we ate it all). I do think it'd be a bit of a misnomer to call it vanilla ice cream, however, because it does have a very strong mascarpone taste. That's not a bad thing -- personally I think it tastes better than vanilla ice cream. Most impressive, though, is the texture. Despite lacking eggs, the texture is nearly identical to that of traditional ice cream. Even after several days in the freezer, it's still creamy and spoonable rather than hard as a rock.

Next up, I'm going to increase the quantity of milk (to two cups) while keeping the same amount of mascarpone, hopefully cutting down on the mascarpone flavor a bit. It's not that I don't like the mascarpone flavor, but I'd like it to taste more like vanilla. Assuming that works out, we can move on to the wonderful world of flavors. Woo.

Also, a quick note -- I'm back at Canlis through the end of August, back on the old veg station. The restaurant is waaay busier than it was on extern. Gone are the days of 75 or 80 covers on Tuesday and Wednesday... I worked last week, Tuesday through Saturday, and we pushed 200 Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, topped it on Friday, and pushed 300 on Saturday. Wow.

2 Comments:

  • have you tried using sweetened condensed milk? maybe replace a little mascarpone with it if you want to cut down on the flavor of the cheese...? and it might help along the vanilla flavor a bit.

    By Blogger Kleifgen, at 11:03 AM  

  • No, I haven't tried any sweetened condensed milk yet. Maybe next batch? I've got some instant vanilla pudding as well. Who knows.

    By Blogger JMB, at 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home