Cooking with Jason

Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Week in Wine

Friday's wine test (everything France) went very well; another perfect score for this blogger.

This got me thinking that I don't want to lose this knowledge after class is over, since it would certainly serve me well in the future. I'm also planning to take the Court of Master Sommeliers Level I Certification at some point, probably shortly after graduation. But other than some limited wine service while I'm working in the restaurants, how will I stay sharp in my wine knowledge?

Yesterday while at my favorite liquor store, Arlington Wine and Liquor, I asked one of the owners if they'd be hiring for the holidays. Sure enough, they need extra help since they're incredibly busy from Thanksgiving through the New Year. Next thing I know, I'm filling out an application, taking their wine "pop quiz" (no problem, other than Spain and Italy which we haven't covered in class yet), and talking about my availability. Nothing's certain yet, but I think it's going to work out. They have a couple other culinary students already working there, even. Should be a good deal all around -- I can keep learning, keep my existing knowledge sharp, and make a few bucks to boot. Stay tuned!

Tomorrow, the class will dine at St. Andrew's Cafe. We'll have a three-course lunch and two wines with each course. The on Wednesday, I'll turn in a paper about the experience -- which wine I liked best with each course and why, as well as two other (specific) wines I thought would have worked instead.

Tuesday, we have a guest speaker from Cave Spring Cellars in Canada (Niagra Peninsula, to be exact) coming to speak about the winery. Also Tuesday, the CIA is having its career fair, with employers from all over the country in one place to see and be seen. I haven't attended a career fair before, but with graduation less than four months away (woo!), I'll be there.

Wednesay is interview day for the career fair, when the majority of companies stick around to conduct, you guessed it, interviews. I actually already have one lined up (you were required to apply on-line in advance of the fair), with a major hotel chain you've certainly heard of.

Thursday I'll have another wine test (Italy, Spain, Portugal), then the final on Friday (cumulative, plus storage). This is one of the quickest blocks I can remember, and I'll be bummed when it's over.

1 Comments:

  • I found this awesome culinary contest for culinary students that I think a lot of readers would be interested in.

    The Office of Champagne, USA is hosting a culinary contest for Culinary Students here is some of the info...



    3rd Annual Champagne Pairing Culinary Contest

    Office of Champagne, USA cordially invites culinary students from around the country to participate in its 3rd Annual Champagne Pairing Culinary Contest. Champagne, long recognized as the world-wide drink of celebrations, has a place at meals too. Champagne is a versatile wine that can complement a wide range of cuisines. From succulent shellfish to delectable desserts, Champagne is ready to take its place in American culture as a complement to a variety of dishes.

    Culinary students interested in entering the contest are asked to submit an original recipe in one of three categories - appetizer, main course or dessert - paired with their favorite style of Champagne. Each recipe will be judged on taste, creativity/originality, ease of preparation and Champagne pairing.

    Three finalist’s recipes in each category will be prepared by a renowned Washington, D.C. chef and judged by a panel of independent experts who will determine the winner in each category.

    The creators of the three winning recipes will receive a trip to the Champagne region of France, including airfare and accommodations. While in the Champagne region, winners will take part in a once-in-a-lifetime educational experience. They will learn firsthand about the terroir, history and strict winemaking regulations of the birthplace of true Champagne.

    To view the application and contest rules, please visit our website at www.champagne.us.

    Entries should list ingredients, instructions, as well as the recommended Champagne pairing. A written explanation as to why the Champagne style pairs well with the recipe must also be included.

    All entries must be received by Friday, June 29th, 2007. Finalists will be announced in July.

    Applications may be submitted electronically through the website or via email at culinarycontest@clsdc.com.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home