Cooking with Jason

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

#1, Twice

All that studying for Monday's wine test paid off. Oh sure, people laughed at me when I showed up with my 2" stack of notecards, but they weren't laughing when we got our scores back. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I took the test (40 questions, multiple choice) and didn't find it very challenging. I then went back through, as I always do on tests (every now and then you find something), and sure enough found a question I had misread. I changed the answer and handed in the test. Professor Weiss went off to grade them after everyone was done, returned to the room, and started handing them back so he could go over the answers and people could make sure their test was graded correctly. He's handing them out, calling out names. No sign of my test. Barrett says, "He must have lost yours." Instead, he hands out the last test, looks up at me and says, "You aced it. 100%. You don't need it back." Only perfect score, I might add.

Today there was a lottery to determine what restaurants you'll work in before graduation. Everyone works in the St. Andrew's kitchen (healthy cooking) and the Caterina kitchen (Italian), but after that there are two paths:

St. Andrew's (FOH) --> American Bounty (BOH) --> American Bounty (FOH) --> Graduation

**or**

Caterina (FOH) --> Escoffier (BOH) --> Escoffier (FOH) --> Graduation

"FOH" means "Front of the House," or working as a server. "BOH" means "Back of the House," or working in the kitchen. Add to this that you could be either AM or PM, so there are four possible restaurant paths.

The proccess is simple -- stand in line at the registrar's office, and when it's your turn, you take a folded piece of paper out of a bowl. The paper has a number on it, from 1 to 100, and that's your lottery number. You mark down wether you want AM or PM, then which track you want, and then (in the case that you don't get your top choice) whether AM/PM or the restaurant track is more important to you. As you might imagine, they fill from the top (#1) and make their way down, going until things get full.

As I was standing in line today (I was in the middle of the pack), people would come out of the office either pleased ("I got 24!") or displeased ("I got 96."). It's worth noting that while there are 100 numbers, there are only about 50 of us vying for these spots. It's a small group. Anyway, I got up near the front of the line. The two guys in front of me drew 83 and 96. Ouch. I looked at the bowl and saw the paper I wanted, only to have the woman who was running this show stir them around a bit before I picked. Fortunately my lucky paper was on the outer edge and wasn't disturbed by her stirring.

You can probably tell where this is going -- I picked the paper, unfolded it, and it had a big "1" in the upper left-hand corner. I probably should have sold the thing to the highest bidder, but instead I marked AM, St. Andrew's/American Bounty track. It wasn't really neccessary that I mark down my back-up, but I did so anyway (AM, please). I had a good feeling about the lottery for some reason, but it was still pretty cool to unfold the paper and see that "1."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home