Cooking with Jason

Monday, June 13, 2005

Better luck next time

I struck out in my attempt to be group 138's group leader. Well, perhaps struck out is a bit too strong -- I did finish second in the voting among four candidates. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, as we had a really hard time getting people to show up or care about the process. We tried to meet between classes, but didn't get full turnout despite numerous reminders. We then tried to meet after lunch, but wound up with even lower turnout. In the end we lost some people (including one of the few who seemed to actually care) and even counted the votes of two people who didn't bother to show up (I'm still mad about that last one, but what can you do?). One person I was more or less counting on to vote for me went home before lunch. Oh well.

I will say that I think Dan, who came out on top, will do a great job given the project management experience he has from his previous career. He's who I would have voted, myself excepted. I also wish him good luck, because leading this apathetic group is going to be quite a challenge.

In a bit of good news, I think mustard greens were on the product knowledge quiz today. If you recall from this post, I misidentified collards as mustards last time out. At this point I figure if I keep writing "mustard greens" they'll have to be correct at some point, right?

And so, onward with the final week of B-Block. Food Safety quiz tomorrow. I also only have two more days of eating "on stage," where we're served a sit-down, three-course lunch by the Banquet & Catering class -- after this it's more cafeteria-style, picking up food at one of the kitchens and then finding a place to sit in the dining hall. Not everyone likes stage, but it's never bothered me. I think those who dislike it now may change their tune in another week when we're forced to stand in line and eat food prepared by less-experienced cooks.

Oh, and don't forget Hell's Kitchen tonight at 9pm on FOX. And speaking of hell, the Weather Channel informs me that the current conditions in Pleasant Valley are, "91 degrees (feels like 98) with 52% humidity." That's actually far less humidity than we had this weekend, but still unpleasant to say the least.

1 Comments:

  • Hmmm... maybe 18? I know for sure we were missing at least four, maybe five people for yesterday's vote.

    jason

    By Blogger JMB, at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home