Cooking with Jason

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Best day yet

But first, I have to admit that I didn't attend either event last Tuesday. Instead I went to bed at 10pm in anticipation of a big week at school. And the sleep was much needed.

Thursday was my best day so far as a CIA student. In my first class, I aced a food safety quiz. Second class, 29 out of 30 on a gastronomy quiz. Now, that's a good score and all, but... it was the first point I'd missed at school. Yeah, I know, I wasn't expecting to go four years and not miss a single point. It was still a minor letdown, though. Anyway, after the quiz my group of four gave a presentation on M.F.K. Fisher. I was concerned we didn't have enough material to fill 20 minutes, so I guess I over-prepared -- I only got through about half my prepared notes before my group told me to wrap it up or we'd go over our time. In any event, I feel really good about my part.

The next, and perhaps coolest, part of the day was picking up my uniforms. Ten hats (toques), five jackets with "Jason Barker B.P.S" on 'em, five pairs of checked pants, three dress shirts, two pairs of black pants, a tie and vest for table service, four aprons (two four-ply for the kitchen, two long for service) and two side towels. In a way they're teasing us, though, giving us these uniforms but making us wait three more weeks before we're in the kitchen. We're allowed to wear our uniforms to class now instead of dressing up, but I'm going to wait. The classroom is the classroom, the kitchen is the kitchen, and never the twain shall meet.

After all that, I was rewarded with four days off (Friday being a day between blocks, Monday being Memorial Day). Friday I went to Cooperstown; there's a post about this on the USS Mariner if you're curious.

Today I made five gallons of chicken stock, and I must say, it's darned tasty. I went to Adams earlier in the week to ask if they might sell me 40# of bones and they said no problem, so I went back Saturday to pick 'em up. Imagine my surprise when he said the bones were free of charge -- I guess they don't have much use for them. Oh well, my gain. The stock's cooling now (I used nearly every container in the house) and I've got a remi going so I can make some pseudo glace, as described in the comments of this post.

I'm picking Carrie and Luke up at the airport (woohoo!) in six and a half hours, so I suppose I should get some sleep.

2 Comments:

  • Hey Conor,

    Broth is made primarily (or entirely) from meat, whereas stock is made primarily (or entirely) from bones. Broth probably tastes better, but it's quite a bit more expensive and doesn't keep as well. Stock has much better body, because the bones release a ton of gelatin, and bones are dirt cheap. Plus there's usually some meat left on the bones, so it's not like you're getting nothing in the taste department.

    jason

    By Blogger JMB, at 9:44 AM  

  • Good to hear things are going so well and that you know you are in the right place. I look foreward to reading your blog to find out everything thats going on!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home