Cooking with Jason

Sunday, March 04, 2007

It's all over

I graduated on Friday with an Associate of Occupational Studies in Culinary Arts. At the graduation ceremony, I received two awards -- the Management Award, for having the best GPA in non-kitchen classes, and the Katherine Angell Scholastic Achievement Award for best overall GPA among all culinary graduates.

Last night, Carrie and I dined at Daniel in New York City. I will post the details of our seven-course, nearly four-hour extravaganza later on.

The best news of all, however, is that I got the job I've been after since November. Hillstone Restaurant Group has accepted me into their management training program as a KMT (Kitchen Manager in Training). Even better? I'll be doing my training at Rutherford Grill in Napa Valley. After 16 weeks there, I'll get a more permanent placement at one of their 40+ restaurants as an assistant kitchen manager.

In a few hours I'm going to hop on a train back to the city, as my sommelier certification class and exam begins tomorrow morning. After getting back late Tuesday night, I'm going to be off again on Thursday, this time on a plane out to California to find the four of us a place to live.

I have no idea what the future holds for Cooking with Jason, but thanks to everyone who has checked in to read my irregularly posted ramblings.

5 Comments:

  • Jason, congrats. May I ask how you supported yourself through all of this? I'd love to follow suit, but have no idea how I'd go about it. What did you do, save up beforehand?

    cheers
    Rich
    richallen7 at yahoo dot com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:15 AM  

  • Jason,
    Good luck with the Rutherford Grill. I live in the Napa Valley and have to tell you that they are always busy and chaotic. I have not been there once and recived even good service or a complete meal where I haven't had to ask twice for something. If we get take out they ALWAYS forget one or two items even after they say, "you don't need to check it , it was checked by the manager" yeah right. CIA training is the best for the Valley. Anything else is just subpar. Good luck, you'll need it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 AM  

  • Wow. Congratulations Jason.

    By Blogger Coach Owens, at 11:01 AM  

  • Congratulations Jason. Will be looking forward to the update on your trip to Daniel - please tell me that you have photos. :D

    By Blogger Terrence O'Leary, at 1:44 PM  

  • Sorry, no photos from Daniel. And just to continue the great restaurants theme, I was in Yountville CA today, parked the car, and was a five minute walk from FOUR Thomas Keller establishments -- French Laundry, Bouchon, Bouchon Bakery, and Ad Hoc.

    Rich -- how did we do it? Started with savings (all gone now). Loans, mostly federal and one big private. Scholarships (those good grades were a big help). My parents chipped in a bit. And my wife worked nights at Starbucks (helpful in that it brought medical benefits and a bit of cash). Now we're in debt, but the job I landed after all of this is worth it.

    By Blogger JMB, at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home