Cooking with Jason

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Chicken Stock

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and I'm going to need chicken stock. I know you thought I'd never run out after making five gallons back in May, but sure enough, I used the last of it a few weeks ago. This time around I'm using chicken bones I've been saving in the freezer instead of another 40-pound case of bones, as well as some chicken necks, feet, and a stewing hen (a.k.a, an old chicken that's too tough to eat but has lots of flavor) I picked up at Adams yesterday. Chicken feet are a great addition to stock if you can find them -- they're almost pure collagen, which converts to gelatin during the cooking process and gives your stock good body. All told I've got around 16 pounds of bones going, so I should wind up with somewhere in the neighborhood of two gallons of stock.

As for Thanksgiving, I'm going to toss tradition aside and roast a duck instead of a turkey. Even a small turkey is way more than we can eat, and besides, duck tastes better. Also on the tentative menu are more traditional items such as stuffing, mashed potatoes (though these might also be tossed aside in favor of risotto), and cranberry sauce (not from a can), as well glazed beets and of course, pumpkin pie.

4 Comments:

  • Less blog rambling, more egg scrambling!!

    See you at Breakfast!!

    By Blogger Kleifgen, at 3:47 PM  

  • Yeah, 7pm and it's almost time for bed.

    Hey, the Huskies won yesterday. How'd TT fare?

    Ouch.

    By Blogger JMB, at 3:49 PM  

  • Sca-reeeewwwwwww YOU!!

    By Blogger Kleifgen, at 12:01 PM  

  • Jason -
    My mom has an awesome recipe for cranberries, if you're interested.
    Let me know...
    -Conor

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home