Cooking with Jason

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Cooking Practical

Well, tomorrow's the big day. Based on a randomly drawn menu and two-and-a-half hours in which to prepare it, the CIA will tell me once and for all whether or not I know how to cook. OK, so it's not quite like that. Not far off, though. You have to pass this practical to be allowed to go on Extern, and you must pass a similar practical at the end of 5th term in order to graduate.

Tomorrow, after a regular day of Garde Manger, I report to the Practical Kitchen at 2pm along with five other students. The kitchen consists of six work areas, with a tall wall between each so you can't see what your neighbor is doing. Everything we could possibly need -- food, pots, pans, etc. -- is provided. The first person begins at 2:30 (presentation time: 5pm), and then subsequent students start each half hour. I already know I'm going 5th, with a 4:30 start time.

Now begins the task of prepping for all six menus. Note cards with recipes, food lists, timelines, equipment lists... you have to be organized, or else (I suppose there are probably people who try to wing it, but why?).

Here are the six menus. Each menu has a protein, two vegetables, a starch and a soup. In most cases there's a sauce as well. You'll notice they cover six different basic cooking techniques.

  • ROAST: Chicken with Pan Gravy, Green Beans, Glazed Beets, Gratin Potatoes, Beef Consomme

  • SAUTE: Chicken Breast with Sauce Fines Herb, Sauteed Zucchini, Braised Red Cabbage, Fresh Pasta, Puree of Lentil Soup

  • GRILL: Mahi Mahi with Pineapple Salsa, Green Beens, Glazed Carrots, Rice Pilaf, Cream of Mushroom Soup

  • SHALLOW POACH: Sole with Sauce Vin Blanc, Broccoli, Duxelle Stuffed Tomato, Tourne Potatoes, Cream of Cauliflower

  • STEW: Beef Stew, Carrots/Turnips, Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes, Chicken Consomme

  • DEEP POACH: Salmon with Hollandaise Sauce, Jardiniere Vegetables, Steamed Spinach, Tourne Potatoes, Beef Consomme

  • Until I typed those out just now, I was only sure which menu I didn't want, but not which one I did... it's now obvious to me which is clearly the best option. I won't mention either one, for fear of jinxing the whole thing.

    Finally, here's a cool article about Canlis, my externship site.

    2 Comments:

    • MMMMMM....'70's food. Tourne? Duxelle-stuffed tomato? C'mon. The only indication that the last 25 years have happened is...Mahi-mahi w/ pineapple salsa.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:08 AM  

    • Yeah, no kidding. That mahi certainly does stand out. I drew the deep poach... passed no problem. Post on this later.

      jason

      By Blogger JMB, at 5:10 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home